Can I open a bank account as a tourist?
In general, most Costa Rica banks allow only residents and citizens to open bank accounts. Nevertheless, Banco de Costa Rica (BCR) provides this option even to foreigners without a resident identification card (cedula).
To do this, you need to provide your passport and cell phone number.
Meanwhile, there are certain restrictions for non-residents: it is allowed to deposit no more than $ 1000 per month into the account.
What do you need to open a bank account?
Overall, if you want to open a bank account in Costa Rica, you need to provide a number of documents:
- a foreign passport with a stamp of legal entry into the country;
- proof of residence (utility bills, lease agreement);
- proof of your income;
- minimum deposit (depends on the type of account, usually from $ 25);
- a letter from the employer with the company stamp (if employed);
- reference letters from the financial institutions in your country (depending on the bank).